History

History

The Faculty of today continues the nearly two hundred year old tradition of the study of philosophy and theology in the diocesan town of Đakovo. On 6 November 1806, in the building of former Franciscan monastery, Bishop Ante Mandić opened the Theological Seminary and Lyceum episcopale. With great difficulty, the study of philosophy was founded first, and even though it was founded and has always remained a diocesan institute (as well as the entire Lyceum episcopale) it became an interest of not only young men, candidates for the priesthood, but also a large number of secular students, and not only from Slavonia, but from distant regions, like southern Hungary, as well.

The study of theology in Ðakovo met the regulations of the time. To be considered as a complete theological study, a lyceum needed to have four systematized teaching posts as well as four tested and approved professors, which the Lyceum episcopale in Ðakovo had. This model of study was in effect until the reform in 1849, that is 1850. With the Apostolic Letter of Pope Pius XI, »Deus Scientiarum Dominus«, from 1931, the study of philosophy and theology was extended to five years, and the school was renamed the School of Theology.

The spirit of renewal of the Second Vatican Council introduced new courses, we have a new generation of teachers, and the model of education is the highest theological institution in Croatia, the Catholic Faculty of Theology (CFT) in Zagreb. The Statute of CFT in Zagreb, in 1974, served as the base for the Statute of the School of Theology in Ðakovo. By the decision of the faculty of the School of Theology and on the request of the diocesan bishop and the CFT in Zagreb to the Congregation for Catholic Education, on 10 January 1987, the affiliation to the CFT in Zagreb was approved.

With the return of the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb to the state University, the School of Theology in Đakovo also underwent certain reforms, and with it, in 1994, came the name change. The School of Theology changed its name to the Theology in Ðakovo - Affiliate Study of the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb, aligning its name to the Higher Education Institutions Act of the Republic of Croatia, from 1993. The Statute of Theology in Ðakovo, aligned with the church and state regulations, with the Statute of the University of Zagreb and with the Statute of the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb, the Statute of Theology in Ðakovo came into force on 28 February 2000.

After the request made by the diocesan bishop, Dr. Marin Srakić, from 7 November 2003, to the Congregation for Catholic Education in Rome on the pastoral need to elevate the Theology in Ðakovo to the level of the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Đakovo, the Congregation accepted the request and with the Decree No. 194/2004 from 4 June 2005, founded the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Ðakovo as part of the Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek. The first Statute of the Faculty that was approved »ad experimentum« for five years by the Congregation for Catholic Education on 4 June 2005, ceased to be in force on 20 April 2010. On that day, the new Statute came into force, which was approved by the Congregation for Catholic Education on 25 March 2010.

Contact us

Catholic Faculty of Theology in Đakovo

    • Petra Preradovića 17, p. p. 54
      HR - 31400 Đakovo
    • Port: (++385) 031/802-400
      Secreteriat: (++385) 031/802-402
      Fax: (++385) 031/802-403
    • tajnistvo@djkbf.hr

IBAN account:
Faculty: HR4523900011100474440
Dorm: HR3123900011500027586